Questions and Answers

Frequently Asked Questions

We’re here to help you 7 days a week and respond within 24 hours. Plus, you can find most answers to your questions right on this page.

ILAC's Facilities

ILAC operates in accordance with the highest level of industry standards and regulations. ILAC is an accredited member of Languages Canada – Canada’s premier language organization, is designated by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training, and maintains Education Quality Assurance (EQA) designation. For more information see:

ILAC Toronto is located downtown. It is just steps away from the principal intersection of Toronto’s subway lines (Bloor & Yonge), and right next door to the Metro Reference Library—the largest public library in Canada. Also nearby are many of the most popular destinations for tourists.
ILAC Vancouver is located near the waterfront, close to public transit. It is walking distance to the business district and trendy Gas Town.

ILAC Toronto has six downtown campuses, all with a boutique style, modern and bright appearance. All campuses are located in the vicinity of the Yonge and Yorkville area of Toronto.
ILAC Vancouver has four downtown campuses, all with a boutique style, modern and bright appearance. All campuses are located in downtown Vancouver with a view of the beautiful Vancouver Harbour.

ILAC Toronto: 138 classrooms, free wifi and student lounge areas. The Toronto Central Library (the biggest in its class in Canada) is located just steps from ILAC and all of its services are free to ILAC students. ILAC Vancouver: 75 classrooms, free wifi, and student lounge areas.

Studying in Canada

Most foreign students will need a study permit to study in Canada for a duration of more than 6 months.

If you are studying for a duration of six months or less you will likely need either a Visitor’s visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada depending on which country you are from.

Check Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)’s website for current information before you make travel plans, because the list of countries can change at any time.

You must complete your chosen course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

For more information, visit:

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and it can be requested online.

For more information, visit:

To apply for a visa, please contact the nearest Canadian visa centre. Many visa offices have specific local instructions concerning the documentation to be submitted with your application.

For a complete list of Canadian Consulates, please visit:

When you arrive in Canada, you will need to show:

Valid passport
Study permit (if you will study in Canada longer than six months)
Temporary Resident Visa (if required for your country)
Proof of sufficient funds
Return airline ticket
Letter of Acceptance from the school you will be attending in Canada
Confirmation of accommodation in Canada (homestay letter, if you have requested one)

Yes. Canada has been designated by UNESCO as one of the best countries in the world to live in, and one of the safest.

Spring: 14 degrees Celsius
Summer: 25 degrees Celsius
Autumn: 15 degrees Celsius
Winter: -2 degrees Celsius

Spring: 16 degrees Celsius
Summer: 22 degrees Celsius
Autumn: 14 degrees Celsius
Winter: 5 degrees Celsius

Toronto has a population of approximately 3 million people. It is Canada’s largest city. For more information about Toronto, please visit:

Vancouver has a population of approximately 1 million people. It is Canada’s third largest city. For more information about Vancouver please visit:

Toronto has an excellent public transportation system. It includes four subway lines, streetcars and buses. We always recommend that students buy a “Metro-pass” which will allow them unlimited travel on the transit system. Metro-passes can be purchased for either a one-month or one-week period. The monthly Metro-pass Adult costs $141.50 CAD and can be purchased until the fourth working day of each month. The weekly Adult Metro-pass costs $42.25 CAD and can be purchased every week.

Other fares include:

Single fare Purchase $3.25 CAD

Day Pass: $12.00 CAD

NOTE: above costs are based on 2016 TTC posted rates.

For more information about fares and routes within Toronto please visit this website:

Vancouver has an excellent public transportation system. It includes a Skytrain, ferry and buses. We always recommend that students buy a Compass Card.

For more information about fares and routes in Vancouver, please visit

In Canada, the age of majority is determined by each province and territory. In Ontario the age of majority is 18 years, whereas in British Columbia, is 19.

Note that in Ontario the legal drinking age for purchasing, possessing, consuming and supplying alcohol is 19 years.

This depends on the length of your course. You should consider your expenses for public transportation (approximately $140 CAD per month) plus other personal expenses (which could total around $300 CAD per month). Remember that if you join the homestay program, this will include three meals per day.

You should book your course at least 15 to 75 days before the start date, depending on the country you are coming from. When a course lasts longer than 6 months, a study permit is required. In addition, students coming from certain countries need a visa or eTA to enter Canada.
In most cases, arriving one or two days in advance of the course start date is enough. Your course will begin on a Monday, so you can arrive in Toronto or Vancouver the Saturday or Sunday before.
Yes, but only if you will be studying in Canada longer than 3 months. ILAC has an agreement with TD Bank for these cases.
Unfortunately foreign students must have a valid work permit if they wish to work in Canada.