As September arrives, the ILAC Health Services Department, is gearing up for new semester filled with meaningful events and activities. From commemorating Recovery Month to raising awareness during National Suicide Prevention Month, and celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant city. We’ve also got some exciting ILAC events lined up that you won’t want to miss. Let’s dive into what September 2023 has in store for you!
September marks the beginning of Recovery Month, a time to celebrate the journey of individuals who are overcoming addiction and mental health challenges. It’s also an opportunity to raise awareness about these issues and offer support to those in need. ILAC Health Services is committed to promoting holistic well-being, and our team is here to provide support and services for those struggling. Please send us an email to [email protected].
National Suicide Prevention Month
Throughout September, we join all of Canada in recognizing National Suicide Prevention Month. It’s a time to spread awareness, reduce stigma, and provide resources for those struggling with thoughts of suicide and their loved ones.
On the government of Canada Website it lists Warning signs of suicide
Warning signs that might suggest someone is at risk of suicide include:
- thinking or talking about suicide
- having a plan for suicide
Other signs and behaviours that might suggest that someone is at risk of suicide include:
- withdrawal from family, friends or activities
- feeling like you have no purpose in life or reason for living
- increasing substance use, like drugs, alcohol and inhalants
- feeling trapped or that there’s no other way out of a situation
- feeling hopeless about the future or feeling like life will never get better
- talking about being a burden to someone or about being in unbearable pain
- anxiety or significant mood changes, such as anger, sadness or helplessness
Get help if you need to talk and you:
- are not feeling yourself
- are experiencing a crisis
- have emotional pain
- know someone who needs help
Talk Suicide Canada
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, call Talk Suicide Canada at 1-833-456-4566 (24/7) or text 45645 (4 PM – 12 AM ET).
For residents of Québec, call 1 866 APPELLE (1-866-277-3553) (24/7) or visit suicide.ca.
Visit Talk Suicide Canada for the distress centres and crisis organizations nearest you.
Kids Help Phone
Call 1-800-668-6868 (toll-free) or text CONNECT to 686868.
Available 24 hours a day to Canadians aged 5 to 29 who want confidential and anonymous care from professional counsellors.
If you suspect someone may be at risk of suicide, reach out to them, let them know you care, and encourage them to seek help from a mental health professional or a crisis helpline immediately. In emergency situations, do not hesitate to call emergency services or take the person to the nearest emergency room. Suicide is preventable, and timely intervention can save lives.
ILAC Health Services is dedicated to supporting the mental health of our students. You can contact us for support at [email protected]
Suicide Prevention Week (Sep. 10-16) and World Suicide Prevention Day (Sep. 10)
In the second week of September, the world comes together for Suicide Prevention Week, culminating in World Suicide Prevention Day on September 10th. ILAC Health Services encourages you to participate in activities and conversations focused on suicide prevention. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of those who may be struggling.
Hispanic Heritage Month (Sep. 15-Oct. 15)
Starting on September 15th and continuing until October 15th, Toronto celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month. This is a time to honor the rich cultural contributions of Hispanic and Latinx communities.
Exciting ILAC IC Events in Toronto
Now, let’s take a look at the exciting ILAC events happening in Toronto throughout September:
- Niagara ILAC Trip (September 9): Embark on a journey to Niagara Falls, one of the world’s wonders, on September 9th. Experience breathtaking views and create unforgettable memories.
- Yoga on Campus (September 12 & 26): Relax and rejuvenate with your ILAC friends during free Yoga on Campus sessions on September 12th and 26th. Find your inner zen.
- Sunset Canoeing (September 15): Witness Toronto’s skyline at sunset from a canoe on September 15th. Paddle your way to tranquility and capture the magic of the city.
- Bingo Party (September 16): Join us on September 16th for a fun-filled Bingo Party. Enjoy snacks, compete for prizes, and make new friends.
- Job Interview Tips Workshop (September 20): Prepare for future career opportunities by attending the Job Interview Tips Workshop on September 20th. Gain valuable insights into acing interviews.
- ILAC Movie Night (September 29): Wrap up the month with ILAC Movie Night on September 29th. Enjoy a movie with friends and indulge in free snacks.
- Algonquin Park Day Trip (September 30): Calling all outdoor enthusiasts! On September 30th, embark on an adventure to Algonquin Park. Explore the natural beauty that Canada has to offer.
Exciting ILAC Events at the Vancouver Campus: Career Development and Exploration
At ILAC’s Vancouver campus, there’s a strong focus on career development and exploration throughout September:
- ILAC IC Fall/Winter Job Fair (September 8): Join ILAC International College’s Fall/Winter Job Fair on September 8th. Make meaningful connections and explore potential career opportunities.
- How to Answer 5 Most Common Interview Questions (September 12): Learn smart strategies for answering the most common interview questions on September 12th. Gain a competitive edge in your job search.
- Deep Cove Day (September 12): Explore the picturesque Deep Cove on September 12th, home to some of Vancouver’s best donuts. It’s a beautiful destination for a day of adventure.
- ILAC Social Club (September 14): Hang out with your fellow students at the ILAC Social Club on September 14th. Enjoy games and snacks for a fun-filled day.
- Movie Night at ILAC (September 19): On September 19th, come watch a movie with your ILAC friends. Popcorn and good times are guaranteed.
- Bike Riding at Stanley Park (September 21): Get active while exploring the city during a bike ride through Stanley Park on September 21st.
- Visit Cleveland Dam Park (September 26): Discover the beauty of North Vancouver’s Cleveland Dam Park on September 26th.
- Yoga Class (September 28): Join a special Yoga session on September 28th to relax and unwind with your ILAC friends.
As we transition into the new academic year, both ILAC campuses offer an array of events to help you grow academically, professionally, and personally. We invite you to participate in these activities, connect with your peers, and make the most of your time at ILAC. Embrace the opportunities and experiences that September brings. We look forward to sharing this exciting journey with you!