Halloween in Canada is a huge celebration you need to be ready for. At ILAC, we even do our own “Halloweek” from October 26 to November 2, with many thrilling activities for all tastes! Grab your broomstick, put on your cloak and follow our guide for a perfectly spooky celebration.
1. The Costume:
Because Halloween without a costume is not really Halloween, you need to find clothes that will conjure up your dark side. Are you lacking inspiration? Click HERE to get original ideas! You can try to create one from scratch with what you already have, or buy popular costumes at costume stores:
Where to Buy Costumes in Toronto?
Theatrics Plus: is a retail shop that sells all kinds of costumes all year long! Full sets, accessories, wigs, makeup, fangs – you name it. Make your costume dreams come true at this store; they have everything you may need! And the best part? It’s conveniently located near ILAC’s campus, just a 10-minute walk from the Main Building!
Bonus! Take advantage of their ongoing sale with this coupon.
Value Village: is an impressive thrift store. This second-hand shop is the right place for those looking to spend little money on their costume but still want to dress up for the celebration.
Where to Buy Costumes in Vancouver?
Merchant of Dream: turned into Merchant of Nightmare for the occasion, don’t be scared to explore their Halloween costume collection featuring witches, zombies, and superheroes…You can also wear a mask or customize your own by buying separate pieces!
Spirit Halloween: has a wide variety of Halloween decorations, costumes, and accessories that are perfect for a thrilling party. They even offer pet costumes, so your homestay family’s dogs and cats can go trick-or-treating with you!
Bonus! Get 20% off on any single item with this coupon.
2. The Decoration:
If you were part of our pumpkin-picking event, you’re ready for this activity! If not, don’t worry. We got you covered. It is time to carve and decorate our pumpkins! The tradition is to sculpt them into Jack O’Lanterns, an Irish mythological figure. However, plenty of other possibilities exist. HERE are some creative ideas.
3. The Food:
– Ghostly Bakery: practice your English and cooking skills at our ILAC Halloween Special Cooking Class in Toronto on October 29th! Come with us to discover which treats you will bring home: Delicious cookies, tasty muffins or savoury pies? Yummy!
– Candy Corn: a mixture of sugar, fondant, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and marshmallow cream. Wow! Every Halloween, countless partygoers, and trick-or-treaters hit the streets to harvest candy corn. Be ready for the hunt!
– Pumpkin: not only used for carving, this popular squash is the main ingredient of several Halloween meals. HERE are some recipes to try! Puree, soup, gratin, pie – let your imagination run wild.
4. The Preparation:
Transform into a scary creature: If you’re in Toronto, Join our Make-Up Workshop on October 30th to learn how to do a skull face. If you’re in Vancouver, enjoy the FREE Face and Body Painting at ILAC’s Halloween Party. Terrifying!
Watch classic horror movies: Friday the 13th, Saw, Chucky, be ready to scream! Boo! If you don’t feel like watching a movie alone come to our screening time at ILAC Toronto on November 2nd.
THRILLER! Learn the dance (Toronto Only): Bring your best dancing mood to our Halloween Special ILAC Dance Class on October 25th, and learn the choreography of Thriller – a Halloween classic by Michael Jackson. You’ll want to know this for our spontaneous choreography at the ILAC Halloween Party!
Spook out your vocabulary: as Halloween comes around, you may start seeing some words you’ve never seen or heard before. Don’t worry! Read our previous article to be aware of the top Halloween terms.
5. The Celebration!
ALL AGES EVENTS:
– Toronto Ghost Walk: from October 27 to 31st, a guided walking tour around Queen’s Park and the University of Toronto campus will be held, an area steeped in tradition and ghost sightings.
– The Lost Souls of Gastown Walking Tour: muster up the courage to be part of Vancouver’s legendary Halloween experience! Learn about the gruesome history of the city and its mysteries during the eeriest time of the year. Go with Club ESL and ILAC students on October 25th!
– ILAC’s Halloween Party – Toronto: come to have an unforgettable experience on November 1st at Maison Mercer. Good music, entertainment, free drink ticket and an exciting Halloween costume contest will make this a night to remember. Get ready to dance, a “Thriller” spontaneous choreography will happen through the night!
– ILAC’s Halloween Party – Vancouver: Caprice Nightclub will turn into a haunted club to welcome ILAC students for a frightful but exciting night! Halloween games, amazing prizes, free pizza and body painting, creepy Go-Go dancers, cotton candy, and lots of fun will be waiting for you!
Don’t forget to post your costume on Instagram before the party with the hashtag #ILOVEILAC for a chance to win 2 tickets to the Cirque du Soleil! Winners will be announced on Wednesday, November 1st, 2017.
Written by Marine Gas and Gabriela Garcia