In today’s busy, fast-paced lives, people often report feeling stressed out. Here are 10 free things you can do to relax in order to slow down and smell the flowers! (Unless you happen to have allergies, then that’s probably not a good idea).
1. Go for a walk, preferably around somewhere with trees or nature. Exercise can do as much from a biological perspective as some medications.
2. Call a good friend you haven’t spoken with lately. Or a family member you like. Reconnecting with people provides an emotional uplift. If nothing else, you’ll get the scoop on who your cousin’s dating.
3. Breathe deeply. Sounds simple, but taking in oxygen sends signals to the brain that help calm your blood pressure and nervous system. Throw in some meditation if you’re feeling really ambitious.
4. Try out a free class. Many Salsa or dance studios offer first time classes. Lululemon, yoga superhero store, offers free yoga and other exercise classes year-round. Find one in your neignbourhood: www.lululemon.com
5. Listen to relaxing music or break out your favourite jam and sing along. If you’re really into it, bust a few dance moves (you might want to make sure you’re alone first).
6. Stretch. Take a few minutes and give those achy muscles a break. Roll that neck around those shoulders (can you “roll” a neck?).
7. Look through old pictures. Remembering that beautiful beach in the Bahamas might inspire a few dreamy smiles.
8. Browse online uplifting websites like cuteoverload.com. Who doesn’t like cute kittens, puppies or other adorable animals up to crazy antics?
9. Look in the mirror and say five things you like about yourself or that you are thankful for. Focus on the positive.
10. Don’t sweat the small stuff! Think “In the grand scheme of my life, is this important?” If it’s something you’re not going to regret on your deathbed then it probably isn’t as big a deal you think it is.
- Alisha Sevigny